As a species on this planet, our human progress is spurred by our imagination. Creativity and Imagination are creative faculties which help us broadens our horizons. The use of which leads to the creation of novel ideas, inventions, and findings.
But why do we differ so much in our ability to imagine? And why is creativity something that is frowned upon by the education system, while most parents encourage and emphasize it.
People who are creative, visionary, and artistic tend to use their imagination. However, as we grow older, we often lose touch with our imaginative capacities and instead rely on our past experiences and learned behaviors. This shift tends to occur as we transition from childhood, during which we rely heavily on imagination, dreams, and visions, to adulthood.
In this quick guide, you’ll get data about:
- General imagination statistics and facts
- Statistics of daydreaming at School
- Statistics on the Use of Imagination at Work
- Statistical evidence whether imagination works
- Creativity facts and numbers
- Whether creative thinking works
- Relationship between daydreaming and creative thinking
- Lots more
General Imagination Statistics and Facts
Do you feel good about your creative abilities? Are you satisfied with your use of imagination to create a better life, invent something,, and living upto your full potential? Let’s have a look at general imagination statistics and facts to give context to our questions:
- Only 25% of people believe that they live up to their full creative potential
- 50% of people surveyed feel that creativity is being stifled by their education systems
- 52% globally and 70% of individuals in the United States believe creativity is taken for granted
- According to an international survey, 88% of adults say that their imagination helps them create new ideas and solutions
- In a study by the Harvard Business Review, 77% of entrepreneurs reported that their imagination was an important factor in achieving success
- A survey conducted by the World Economic Forum found that 90% of business leaders believe creativity is important for remaining competitive in today’s market
Statistics of Daydreaming At School
It is a common for students to daydream at school. When doing so, they often get reprimanded and brought back to reality (beta-level thinking). When children get asked whether they are bored at school, the answer is often a definitive YES. Let’s look at the numbers to get an idea of how much kids daydream during a school day.
- Around 45% of people daydream during class or learning time at least once a week
- A Yale survey found that 69.51% of the students feel bored
- A survey conducted by the National Education Association revealed that nearly 70% of high school students daydream in class at least once a day
- The same study found that 44% of those students admitted they often daydreamed more than three times a day while in class
- Another survey determined that 89% of the students believed their daydreams inspired them in some way or another
Statistics on the Use of Imagination at Work
Overall, it appears that allowing yourself regular daydreaming sessions can have a positive effect on your work life. It’s not just about taking time to relax, but also giving yourself the space to think freely and creatively.
- A study of workers in a variety of fields discovered that 28% of them rely on daydreaming to help them with their work.
- Moreover, over 50% of the participants said they felt more connected with their work when they allowed themselves regular daydreaming time during breaks or lunchtime.
- The survey also showed that 81% believed their daydreams opened up new perspectives and ways of thinking which helped improve their work output.
- Finally, 56% of them felt that daydreaming helped their creativity at work and gave them the boost they needed to tackle challenging tasks.
- According to a 2010 IBM study, Imagination is a crucial consideration for a corporation long-term success.
- According to Gallup research, around 16500 workers identified that only 33% of them are allowed to be creative at work a few times a year.
So if you’re feeling stuck or overwhelmed at work, take a break and start daydreaming—you might be surprised by the results!
Developing Your Imagination Statistics
- How can workers motivate creative thinking in a more appropriate manner? The research found that having extra time and resting is not useful. Therefore, what are other strategies that workers could employ to encourage creative thinking?
- In regard to the University of Iowa research, it is suggested that playing video games like Minecraft can improve one’s imagination as long as certain factors are put into consideration. Thus, it is crucial to identify the value of games that helps improve creative thinking.
- Also, it is crucial to know that asking game players to be creative can limit their choices when playing.
If one prefers to solve issues the right way, the next action may be correct.
- When you are experiencing trouble wondering about new ideas, make an effort to sleep on it. Harvard Medical School’s psychologist Deidre Barret, Ph.D. research shows that dreams can help foster imagination and find solutions to problems.
- Besides, Jonathan Plucker, a researcher on imagination, claims that there exist four skill sets that one can improve to enhance own creative output.
These skills are:
- Capturing and preserving new ideas as come up.
- Challenging means accepting tough responsibilities.
- Broadening as an act of gaining knowledge and skills in various fields beyond one’s expertise.
- Encircling which means looking for new or different stimuli.
Imagination Statistics and IQ
- Research suggests that attaining creative breakthroughs is only possible through perseverance, determination, and hard work. Experts need around 10,000 hours of devoted study in a particular area. It appears that attaining a creative breakthrough is not more challenging than what was previously thought. Several individuals think that creativity is only limited to people who possess high levels of intelligence. It is correct that those who are great thinkers and intellectuals generally show high creativity levels. Moreover, it is misleading that only people of this kind are able to be genuinely imaginative. Research shows that creativity and intelligence are not related once a person’s IQ reaches higher above average which is around 120. This shows that everyone has the ability to be creative to some extent. One’s creativity is motivated by features different from your intelligence regardless of if one is a marketing executive generating new product ideas or an artist creating the landscape. Most individuals possess a natural ability to see problems from fresh angles as well as discover creative solutions.
- On the other hand, some individuals have a natural skill for linking ideas and concepts that appears to be unrelated. Besides, we understand that creative thinking is not exclusive to people with very high IQ scores. Imagination can come from various sources, despite your overall intelligence. Therefore, if one has been hesitant to express one creativity as an artist or writer due to fear of lacking intelligence. One should not hold himself back.
- Taking a short or long walk, whether indoors or outdoors, can increase creative output by 60%. If one wants to enhance one’s imagination, taking a walk is a beneficial activity.
- According to American Public Health Association, it suggests that participating in creative expression can potentially reduce anxiety, tension, and mood disturbances. This is a result of allowing one to concentrate on overall well-being.
- Usually, it is easier for people to be more creative than groups due to the dynamics that occur with groups. Particular voices might be louder than others, which results in a decrease in creativity.
- Research shows that people tend to be more creative if they find themselves interacting with individuals who are physically distant. Another study shows this causes higher construal thinking processes, featured by majoring in abstract thinking as well as the big picture.
- In regard to Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, the 1995 Nobel Prize in Physiology/ Medicine winner, Imagination includes connecting already unlinked facts. Pro. Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard was the founder of The ERC Scientific Council.
- In the US, creative professionals are increasing rapidly. 38.3 million Americans in this group including architects, artists, engineers, and other innovators. An approximate 10% growth rate has been estimated for the last two decades, this has surpassed employment growth in other areas.
- The changing economy has resulted in this rapid increase, where upcoming industries are constantly emerging with rapidly evolving technology. Companies are embracing that creativity is more important for success thus actively looking for talented workers who can amend complex problems with more innovative solutions. There is a misunderstanding by individuals outside the creative class, they think that only writers and artists can be considered creative. Besides, creativity is present in all professions and fields. This includes architecture and programming. Moreover, intelligence is thought to be an important element of professional success. Being intelligent can without a doubt aid in several careers, it is synonymous with creativity.
- A study by The Department of Psychology at the University of British Columbia, has expressed that research showing daydreaming is important for enabling our imagination. Despite this, constant exposure to technology may result in this improvement.
- Research shows that intelligence is a common trait among individuals, it is not only a creative success influencing factor. Personality traits also play an important role
Imaginations and daydreaming are important tools that aid individuals attain their dreams. Imagination can be a means by which one creates future paths to well-being, fun, adventure, and success. Imagination is the way to success.
Having imagination statistics, make use of them to own advantage. Always quote them regularly to help reduce your daydreaming and stay focused on your tasks. If on need more help, read articles on how to boost your creativity.
What is the relationship between daydreaming and creativity?
According to Baird research, performing an easy task that facilitates day dreaming can allow creativity. It is the most crucial to understand though, daydreaming is not related to increased creative thinking. Studies shows that daydreaming can prevent creativity.
Is imagination linked to intelligence?
Imagination and intelligence are intertwined. Each practice we consider is a mental representation of reality. There would be no thought without imagination. Thinking includes interpreting and shaping own environment with meaning.
What is a good fact about imagination?
Imagination is the ability to create ideas, images and sensation in one mind without relying on senses. It acts as an important activity in problem solving, this is by turning knowledge into practical solutions, it is crucial for effective learning that creates on own experience.
Petri Maatta is a photographer, filmmaker, and webdesigner who has been working for over 20 years in the creative industry. Fascinated by manifesting for business reasons, Petri was determined to find out what it took to create success. He started his career with seven years of business failures before he found success by learning about manifesting from a mentor with a Fortune 500 company. Today Petri shares his knowledge through DreamMaker courses designed to help people change their businesses and lives while living on their terms.
Read My Story here.
I’ve put together quite a few vision boards in my life. So, I thought, why
Few tools are as effective as a well-crafted vision board when achieving our goals. However,
As a species on this planet, our human progress is spurred by our imagination. Creativity